This unit will allow you to study in breadth issues of change, continuity, cause and consequence in this period through the following key questions:
- Why did the British Empire grow and contract?
- What influenced imperial policy?
- What part did economic factors play in the development of the British Empire?
- How did the Empire influence British attitudes and culture?
- How did the indigenous peoples respond to British rule?
- How important was the role of key individuals and groups and how were they affected by developments?
This unit provides for the study in depth of the years in which thirteen American colonies chose to sever their links with Great Britain and thus found the USA.
This study explores the concepts of imperialism, mercantilism and legitimate government and encourages students to reflect upon the interplay of forces from below and above, the importance of ideology and the economy in political development and the issues facing those who attempt to challenge an established authority.